TouMilou Music | Catalogue
The expanding occasional ensemble that Michiel van der Meulen assembles to record or perform his contemporary modal music. Kairos is the personification of the right moment, the time to act or an opportunity to be seized, perfectly encapsulating the spirit and atmosphere of the collective’s sessions.
TouMilou #7, 2023 / single
TouMilou #6, 2022 / album
TouMilou #3, 2019 / album
TouMilou #1, 2017 / album
- Dani Heyvaert, Rootstime.be (July 29, 2023; in Dutch): “A magnificent listening experience”
- Marius Roeting, New Folk Sounds (February 7, 2023; in Dutch): “Another grand product”
- Jan Willem Broek, De Subjectivisten (November 28, 2022; in Dutch): “a fantastic, unparalleled World album.”
- Holly Moors, Moors Magazine (November 13, 2022; in Dutch): “This third album is again one to cherish.”
- Marius Roeting, New Folk Sounds (November 20, 2019; in Dutch): “Van der Meulen deserves a statue!”
- Crispijn Oomes, MixedWorldMusic.com (August 4, 2017; in Dutch): “Michiel van der Meulen […] passed cum laude.”
Legendary Dutch ensemble led by ethnomusicologist Wouter Swets, which played Balkan and Turkish folk music and released three records during its existence (1962–1995): Balkan Orchestra Čalgija (EP, 1966), Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #1 (LP, 1978) and Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #2 (CD, 1991). TouMilou reissued the EP and produced, in co-operation with Pan Records, two additional full albums from unreleased studio and live material from the late 1970s and early 1980s: the ensemble in its heyday.
TouMilou #5, 2021 / album
PAN 2056 / TouMilou #4, 2020 / album
TouMilou #2, 2017 / EP
- Marija Dumnić Vilotijević, Yearbook for Traditional Music (July 2022): “This edition is intriguing”
- Dani Heyvaert, Rootstime.be (November 3, 2021; in Dutch): “one of the absolute best world music releases of the year”
- Joop Wierenga, New Folk Sounds (August 22, 2021; in Dutch): “a great historical novel about the Balkans”
- Holly Moors, Moors Magazine (July 18, 2021; in Dutch): “A lovely, unexpected discovery from the archives”
- Jan Willem Broek, De Subjectivisten (September 22, 2017; in Dutch): “overwhelmingly beautiful”
Traditionele Turkse kunstmuziek / Traditional Turkish art music
Dutch text book on Ottoman classical music by Wouter Swets, first published by the Dutch public broadcasting organisation KRO in 1983. The book describes the music in terms of its historical and geographical context, forms and approaches, modal and rhythmic systems, and comes up with a useful graphic representation of 60 makams. The second edition of 2023 was edited and supplemented by Michiel van der Meulen.
ISBN 9789464182996, 2023 / book
Bandcamp is an online platform that allows you to buy music directly from the people who make it. Unlike other channels, most revenue goes to the makers. Independent artists need independent listeners!
- All albums except Vintage recordings (1964-1966) are streamed on the major platforms (digital distribution is handled by Pan Records)
- Vintage recordings (1964-1966) and Üçayak can be purchased online from the distributor Xango Music, and resellers such as bol.com and amazon.com
- Vintage recordings (1964-1966) is streamed on Soundcloud, and can be downloaded from the album page
- Use the contact form to order CD’s directly from TouMilou:
- Üçayak: € 12.50 (shipping excluded)
- Unforgotten: € 10.00 (shipping excluded)
- Vintage recordings (1964-1966): € 5.00 (shipping excluded)
- Limited copies are available of Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #2 (Calgija, 1991) and Sabâ Kâr-ı Nâtık, İlâhîler, Gregorian Hymns (Čalgija’s successor ensemble Al Farabi, 2002): € 7.50 (shipping excluded)
Čalgija and Al Farabi CD sale revenues are transferred to the estate of Wouter Swets and used to cover the expenses of a continued effort to safeguard his musical legacy. TouMilou Music contributes to this effort on a pro bono basis.