Čalgija | Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #1
Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #1 is Čalgija’s acclaimed debut album, originally released on LP by Münich Records in 1978 and as a digital album by Pan Records in 2013. The original liner notes are published on TouMilou.nl as supplementary material to the digital album.
Tracks / total playing time 41:24
- Sulejmanovo oro
- Kerimoğlu zeybeği
- Jovino horo
- Antice, džanam, dušice
- Haj, otkako je Banja Luka postala
- Lukovitski momi horo
- Liljano mome ubavo
- Kars yerli barı
- Osman Paşa
- Valle nr. 1 e Tiranës
Place and time of recording: Nieuwe Gracht 32, Utrecht; 1977–1978.
All recordings are arrangements of original folktunes.
Liner notes: Wouter Swets
Design: Fotoset Meijer B.V.
Painting (front cover art): Tjarko ten Have
Photography: Eelco Brinkman
Producer: Job Zomer
Executive production: Munich Records B.V.
Stoof MU 7425 / PAN 7425
© 1978/2013 Pan Records
Get the album
- Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #1 is streamed on all major platforms
Album art (945 x 945 px jpg)
About the album artwork
Besides member of Čalgija, Tjarko ten Have (‘s-Heer Arendskerke, 1947 – Vlissingen, 2003) was an accomplished painter, who was best known for his portraits of athletes and jazz masters. His painting of two Turkish men drinking tea for the cover of Čalgija’s debut album is actually a double self-portrait (1978, oil on canvas, approx 75 x 65 cm, in private collection). A full image is included in the liner notes.
Other albums by Čalgija
- Üçayak (TouMilou #5, 2021)
- Unforgotten (Pan Records – PAN 2056 / TouMilou #4, 2020)
- Vintage recordings (1964–1966) (TouMilou #2, 2017)
- Mosaique Vivant (Mosaique Vivant – MV695, 1995): compilation album with three tracks by Čalgija
- Music from the Balkans and Anatolia #2 (Pan Records – PAN 2007CD, 1991)